JB Lawyers LLP acts for a diverse array of clients on matters and transactions involving all classes of real property on Vancouver Island and throughout British Columbia. For each of our clients, regardless of size or sophistication, we strive to provide a high level of care, diligence, and customized service.
- Residential Conveyancing. Individual clients trust us to handle the purchase, sale, and financing of their most important asset: their home. Following review of the contract and removal of subject conditions, we work closely with the client’s realtor, mortgage broker, and lender to ensure a smooth and orderly completion of the transaction, while minimizing cost to the client.
- Acquisitions and Dispositions. We advise and represent individual, commercial, and institutional clients in the purchase and sale of commercial, multi-residential, hospitality, industrial, agricultural/forest, and First Nation leasehold properties throughout British Columbia. We assist our clients with all aspects of the transaction, including: negotiating and drafting of the purchase and sale agreement; title review and analysis; due diligence review; data room management; entity structuring and formation; debt and equity financing; negotiating and drafting all transaction documents; all registration and closing matters; and any post-closing escrow matters. We also assist clients with completing all filings required under the Land Owner Transparency Act (LOTA).
- Land Development. We advise and represent owners (including housing societies and cooperatives) and developers in the subdivision, development, construction, and financing of various types of projects throughout British Columbia, ranging from single-family detached homes to syndicated mixed-used apartment buildings. Our lawyers provide our clients with end-to-end project advice, including: structuring and entity formation; site acquisition; due diligence; financing; development and permitting; construction; and marketing and sales. We assist our developer clients navigate and comply with municipal, regional, and provincial land use and building regulations. We draft and review ancillary real property documentation such as easements, rights of way, and covenants; and attend to the registration of subdivision and strata plans, including bare land, mixed-use, and phased strata. We assist in the drafting and filing of all disclosure statements under the Real Estate Disclosure Marketing Act (REDMA). Throughout the land development process, we work closely with our clients’ land surveyors, appraisers, architects, engineers, and other consultants, and remain focused on providing practical and cost-effective solutions to the issues at hand.
- Commercial Leasing. We regularly advise and represent major landlords and tenants in a wide range of commercial leasing transactions in Victoria and southern Vancouver Island, including office, retail, shopping centre, and industrial properties. Our lawyers draw on their knowledge of market conditions and strong relationships with commercial brokers to negotiate the best leasing terms for their clients.
- Construction. We regularly act for both owners and contractors in construction contracts and disputes. We have substantial experience advising clients in the use of CCDC contract forms (particularly CCDC-2 Stipulated Price Contract), along with negotiating and drafting supplementary conditions. We also have substantial experience in handling Builders Lien Act claims.
- Real Estate Finance. We regularly act for institutional lenders in land, construction, take-out (conventional and CMHC-insured) financing transactions throughout British Columbia. We also act for private lenders in mortgage transactions.